Here are some tips to help you get started:
Outside the house:
Inside the House:
- Schedule a family garage clean out. Create efficient storage for sporting goods, camping equipment, recreational vehicles, and garden tools. You'll have the jump on summer fun!
- Inspect, clean and repair outdoor furniture.
- Tour house exterior and grounds. Make a list of any needed seasonal maintenance.
- Inspect the roof for winter damage: leaks, missing or broken shingles or tiles. Arrange for any needed repairs early; roofing contractors can be hard to find during summer's construction season.
- Use a sunny Saturday to scrape, prime and paint peeling spots on trim or woodwork. You'll protect wood against summer's heat and moisture--and prevent a more difficult paint job come fall.
- Clear away any remaining dead foliage and weeds from beds and lawn. New growth will be protected from damage or disease.
- Begin major spring landscaping projects. Spring's the time to put in shrubs and trees, but check with your local gardening center for specific planting recommendations for your area.
- Changing seasons, changing clothes. Hold a family wardrobe check as you bring out warm-weather clothing. Sort winter clothing for discards and donations before you store.
- Hold a garage sale! Declutter house and garage to turn trash into cash. Build your yard sale savvy here.
- Pick a weekend and enlist the family for Spring-cleaning. Many hands make light work! Reward the team with dinner at a pizza joint.
- Wash all the windows inside and out. (Don't forget those windowsills!)
- While at the window area, check drapes and window treatments. Vacuum any dust; send dirtier drapes to the cleaners.
- Move furniture and vacuum beneath it.
- Arrange for a spring inspection of cooling systems. Don't wait for the first hot day! Air conditioning firms will give better service when they're not busy.
- When the weather warms, deactivate heat system humidifiers. Check the system manual for instructions on how to power down for the summer.
- Drain sediment from hot water heaters.
- Begrime the outside and inside of the refrigerator and freezer. Throw out old food and get ready for the warm season foods like fresh fruits and veggies! (Don't forget the top of the refrigerator!)
- Clean outside of kitchen cabinets.
- Clean oven, exhaust fan, and hood.
- Install a new shower curtain in the bathroom or clean the shower doors.
- Clean light switches and doorknobs, and around handles on doors, cabinets, etc.
- Clean light fixtures.
- Dust the tops of picture frames and mirrors; use glass cleaner on picture fronts.
- Clean everything out from under the bed. If you have items stored under there, take it all out, sort it out and determine what to keep and what to sell or donate. Find new homes for everything, so you have nothing under the bed when you are finished.